Sunday, August 11, 2013

Classmate Commentary 2


In a blog post entitled “Texans Will Now Hit-And-Render-Aid” by one of my classmates, he explains new laws going into effect on September 1st that will increase the penalty of hit-and-runs. I fully agree with this post and feel that hit-and-runs should be penalized with the utmost severity and I am glad that this law was easily passed by both houses. My classmate also brings up the case of Gabrielle Nestande, a former Texas legislator who was responsible for the death of a 30-year-old woman but was somehow acquitted after being found guilty. Personally, I feel that it is embarrassing to the state of Texas that legislators are not held to the same standards of the citizens when a crime is committed and Nestande should not have been acquitted, she should have been sentenced just as any other citizen would have.  Overall, I am glad that this law will soon take effect because as human beings, we need to take responsibility for what we do to one another, even though for some it may be fear of the penalty rather than just from kindness and care for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment